Business Intelligence Analyst
Position Description (Abstract)
This role is part of the Business Intelligence department of Tigunia, which handles all reporting and data-related tasks for our clients of many differing industries. To be successful in this role, you will need a combination of technical, soft, and analytical abilities. You will have to mine data using sophisticated tools and software, analyze it to spot trends, and then properly convey your results to others once you have identified data trends. Responsibilities will include implementations of Jet Analytics / TimeXtender, managing of security permissions in a variety of security model complexities, extensive dimensional modeling and data warehousing, development of reports in a variety of front-end reporting solutions, as well as consulting and training on each of these topics.
This is a role where you will interface directly with clients and their systems, collaborating with them to complete their data or business intelligence objectives. This is an active, hands-on role which relies on problem solving capabilities and self-reliance. Team members will work with a variety of clients daily, both in communications as well as video conferencing, and will need to be able to manage and prioritize requests as they come in. Team members are expected to adhere to naming conventions within client environments as well as to notate complex designs so others can support and troubleshoot if needed.
The right person for this position is someone who:
· Knows what the Kimball Model is. Not only do you need to understand dimensional modeling and reporting techniques, but also will need to be able to explain them to people who do not know much about either. Our team is designed to partner with our clients to achieve business intelligence, meaning we strive to make their users power-users of their own right, rather than relying on us for everything.
· Enjoys data analysis and reporting. It is one thing to understand how data is queried; it is an entirely different thing to enjoy what reporting and analysis can provide. Our daily activity revolves around reporting and data modeling, and so it is important that you enjoy what you are creating. It also helps when relating things to clients, as you will be able to speak to your experiences.
· Is a professional troubleshooter. In this role, there will be scenarios where the data provided is different than what was expected by the client. You will need to be able to dig into those details and explain what is different and why. Being proficient with data-sleuthing is a key to being successful in this role.
· Gather requirements and document needs for reports.
· Review and examine reports to locate and resolve issues.
· Prepare and present reports to clients.
· Development of data models via Jet Data Manager and TimeXtender.
· Oversee the development of data warehouses and analysis services databases.
· Analyze and evaluate performance of SQL Server environments and issues.
· Communicate the results of data analysis in both written and verbal form eloquently.
· Understand and implement complex security models across varying levels of criteria.
Required Skills / Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business, mathematics, statistics, accounting, or related.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· 2 to 4 years of experience creating reports and performing duties of an analyst.
· Strong T-SQL knowledge of query development using MS SQL Server 2008 through current.
· Thorough understanding of the Kimball model and SQL relational databases.
· Experience developing data warehouses and analysis services databases.
· Ability to manage time and prioritize projects to meet deadlines.
· Experience using Power BI, Jet Reports, or SSRS.
· Comfortability with databases of varying sources and an ability to find your way through them.
· Strong understanding of Excel and Pivot Tables.
Desired Skills / Experience
· Familiarity with Jet Reports and Power BI
· Experience using Jet Analytics or TimeXtender